Alleged drunk driver inflicts personal injury: 3 women hurt

Individuals who have been involved in car accidents are eligible to make accident benefit claims through their auto insurance policy. Whether at-fault for the accident or not, Albertans have the right to claim benefits for their injuries.

What To Do After A Car Accident

Following an accident, it is important for injured parties to contact their insurer as soon as possible. If you delay in informing your insurance company, you may encounter difficulties with your claim later on.

When involved in a motor vehicle accident, an injured individual should:

  • Make sure to file an injury report with the police
  • See their health practitioner for an assessment of injuries and treatment
  • Fill out and submit to the insurer a Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim Form

What Benefits Are Injured Parties Are Entitled To?

Every Albertan is entitled to Section B benefits. These benefits are provided for any individual who suffers minor injuries because of a car accident.

Individuals are entitled to claim up to ,000 in medical treatments under section B coverage. The coverage expires two years from the date of the accident.

Although every Albertan has the right to seek treatment under the statute, coverage for certain types of treatments is limited. These caps are imposed for treatments that do not require a doctor’s referral or the insurer’s approval. These include:

  • Chiropractic services, which are limited to 0 per person
  • Physical therapy, which is capped at 0
  • Occupational therapy, limited to 0
  • Psychological therapy, limited to 0
  • Massage therapy, limited to 0
  • Acupuncture services, limited to 0

An individual claiming treatment at higher amounts will likely need to seek approval from a doctor assigned by the insurer.

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, the lawyers at Osuji & Smith Lawyers can provide a consultation to discuss your claim and accident benefit entitlements.

Related Posts