Calgary Family and Divorce Lawyers Questions and Answers


Calgary Family DIVORCE Lawyers Questions and Answers

Read more FAMILY LAW Questions And Answers

Question: When can I file for a divorce?

Answer: In order to file for divorce, you can either be separated for at least a year or unless there is physical or mental cruelty or adultery.

Question: How do I get a divorce if I can’t find my spouse?

Answer: If you cannot find your spouse, you can request permission from the court to publish a notice of the divorce in the newspaper or post a notice in the courthouse. This is called a Motion to Serve by Publication or Posting.

Question: I was married outside Canada/Alberta can I still file a divorce?

Answer: You can get a Canadian divorce if you were married in a different country, provided certain prerequisites are met. The reason is that when it comes to divorce, it does not matter where you were married. What matters is where you live when the divorce proceedings are commenced. You can file for divorce in Alberta if you or your partner have lived in Alberta for 1 year.

Read more FAMILY LAW Questions And Answers